Sunday, March 4, 2012

Leafy Green Goodness



Have you ever been intrigued by a certain food but found it a bit intimidating to cook with? I think of cooking with these types of foods as challenges to be overcome. These foods are challenging because their usually very healthy and even though I like to think I eat a healthy diet, it doesn't mean I always like the taste of healthy food. For example, eating tofu plain...woof, no thanks. But at the same time, because these foods are healthy I'm determined to like them...it's just a matter of knowing how to cook them. This is how I feel about kale. I know the tough, leafy green plant is good for me, but besides a few soup recipes, I've never really found another way to cook with it...until now. :)

I'm always looking for a delicious recipe that is healthy and quick to prepare. This recipe fits these qualifications. The other nice thing about this recipe is that it will last in the fridge for a few days. Unlike lettuce, the kale will not start to wilt right away, even with dressing on it. I hope you find this recipe as delicious and easy as I did.

Lentil & Kale Salad
(Recipe courtesy of The Neelys)

Ingredients:1 bunch kaled, washed, stemmed and sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked French lentils
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions:
Add the kale and shallots to a large bowl and set aside.

Whisk together the vinegar, honey, and mustard. I find it's easier to mix in the honey if it is warmed up a bit before pouring in with the other ingredients. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the kale and shallots and toss and stire roughly with tongs, about 3 minutes. You want to gently bruise the leaves of the kale. Once the kale looks soft, toss in the lentils, feta, and cranberries. Cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator, and marinate 1 hour before serving.

Enjoy!

Thank you for joining us this week!

Sincerely,
Lauren

"We loose ourselves in the things we love. We find ourselves there too."
   -Kristin Martz

No comments:

Post a Comment